The plot on which Scargill School stands was part of the grounds of Brettons Manor. This house was built originally in a primitive form around the date of 1160. The building gradually evolved to its present form. The Manor House was one of several in the area, all linked to the Bretton’s Estate. It can be found almost opposite the junction of Simpson Road and The Rainham Road.
It was in 1446 that the Manor was conveyed by Trustees to Thomas Scargill, the connection is unknown. His wife was named Elizabeth and his daughter Anne. Thomas Scargill died in 1476.
His wife then inherited the property.
The land around the Manor including the site of Scargill School would have originally been heavily forested. The land was not allowed to be fenced because the deer enjoyed immunity and had to be free to roam by order of the King. These grounds would have been part of the King’s hunting grounds. The King would sail down the River Thames from the Tower of London or Westminster to hunt on the land.
The school was named after Thomas Scargill, one of the many owners of Brettons Manor. The school has served the community ever since and gone through many developments to its present success. Sir Thomas Scargill also paid for the spire on St. Andrew’s Church, Hornchurch.